- 2 Scotch Beef PGI fillet steaks (150g each)
- 2 tbsp groundnut or sunflower oil
- 150g shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 orange, peel and pith removed and cut into segments
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fine cut orange marmalade
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine
- 1⁄2 tsp Szechuan pepper, crushed
- Watercress and cucumber salad to serve
- Make the marinade by mixing the soy sauce, marmalade, honey, orange juice and rice wine together. Put the steaks in the marinade and turn them to coat thoroughly and rub in the Szechuan pepper.
- Heat a deep non-stick saute pan or wok until the oil is just beginning to smoke (don’t allow to burn!). Shake excess marinade from the steaks and sear in hot oil for 2 minutes on each side (for medium/rare), then add the remaining marinade mixture, turning the steaks until coated in the sticky sauce. Remove the meat to 2 warm plates and spoon over the sauce from the pan. Steam the mushrooms in the traces of sauce left in the pan with 3 tbsp water added, until soft and aromatic. Spoon around the steaks.
- Dress the finished dish with watercress, slivers of cucumber and the orange segments. No salad dressing will be needed.