- 1.8kg spatchcock chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tsp instant coffee granules
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp allspice
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Mix the oil, coffee, sugar, allspice, paprika and cayenne in a bowl.
- Season, then rub all over the chicken.
- Marinate for 30 mins in a shallow roasting dish at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C.
- Cook the chicken in the oven for 45 mins.
- Meanwhile, if using a gas barbecue, preheat to medium-high or, if using charcoal, light it and wait until the coals are glowing and the flames have completely died down.
- Put the chicken on the barbecue, breast side down, for 5-10 mins until the skin is golden and charred.
- Turn over and cook for 5-10 mins, until the chicken is cooked through with no pink meat showing and the juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thickest part of the leg.
- Leave to rest for 10 mins, then slice to serve.