- 700g cubed stewing steak
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup water or beef stock
- 3⁄4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 6 medium potatoes, cut in 1⁄4 inch thick slices
- 1 tablespoon flour mixed with 2 tablespoons water, optional
- Brown the beef cubes in the oil in a stockpot.
- Add onion and cook until lightly browned, around 5 minutes. Add herbs and seasonings, tomatoes, water or broth, and bell pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 15 minutes longer.
- If desired, thicken with a paste made with 1 tablespoon of flour mixed with 2 tablespoons of water, then cook until thickened.